Friday, July 9, 2010

Another Update from Kentucky Farmer Ashley Reding

Hello everyone! The last couple of weeks have been crazy around here. At least farm life slowed down a bit before our personal lives sped up. Kathryn (our nine year old) was in the hospital twice last week, and I am so happy that she has recovered splendidly.

Speaking of kids, Andrew (4) said the following after our lunch prayer last week:

“Thank you, God, for the 8130 and the Kinze planter with 16 rows. And for letting us plant the corn and killing it too.** And thank you for letting us get to Grandma's house. In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen."

**The “thanks for killing it” was in there because they were replanting corn damaged in the flood and he apparently didn’t know that was a BAD thing! The 8130 is a John Deere tractor.

All planting and replanting is complete. Wheat harvest is done. There is always something going on, however. This week we are focusing on applying crop protection products and praying (a lot) for rain. In some areas, the corn is becoming stressed due to lack of rain and the intense summer heat. Stressed corn = stressed farmers!

Summer is also a time when we check and repair trucks and equipment. We focus on improvements for the farm, and attend lots of meetings. This summer is actually a slow one with “only” about 14 days worth of different meetings. I work here in our farm office three days a week and spend time with the kids the other days.

To be honest, my thoughts are just not on the farm today. When I began this blog, I said it was going to be about our farm and family…and family is all that’s on my mind today. After a very rough week, my grandfather passed away today. Jimmie Franklin Shemwell was 77 years old. While I am extremely sad, I am also very proud to have known such a great man. I visited him in the hospital about a month ago. At that time, he told me that he had lived a good life and had no regrets. If this cancer is what “got him,” then that was ok. That helps me to be at peace.

So, I will end this week wishing you all a safe summer and will challenge you to be thankful for the many blessings you have. God bless America. God bless our families. And, God…please send rain!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home